Monday, April 22, 2013

Backyard Chicken Coop

Lost Lake Farm has more than just a hand full of backyard chickens.  We gather eggs from the hens for our own farm table, as well as other family and friends. All of our chickens are one big happy barnyard family and good neighbors with the guineas and turkeys.  They roam during the day and share a coop at night built on the end of the barn. That being said, we have decided to hatch a few of the special breeds, like our Welsummers.
In order to do that we need to move the girls and this rooster into their own little place.  Recently we were blessed with a good amount of free pallets.  I really wanted to use them in order to build the 'coop' part of the chicken pen.  Pulling pallets apart to use the boards is time consuming.  Keep in mind it would be a quicker project to purchase the materials, but also much more expensive.
Without a pattern or directions, here is our almost completed Chicken Condo designed by the Farmer.
I love it! Not that I will have to live in it or anything. I think the pallets give the chicken coop a rustic country feel.
The boards are mixed and not even the same width which delivers just the right amount of character for my tastes.  I wish I had taken a better photo of the hen nesting box.  When it is complete I will snap one and post on our Facebook page.
Did you notice even the door is a pallet?
The Farmer was able to also recycle some door hinges found in the barn.
The frame of the pen is using newly purchased lumber.  Using the pallets really cut the cost of this baby!
We finished up the side this weekend and have placed the Welsummers in their new home.  Hopefully we will get their condo moved out in the calves pasture this week.  For now they seem to enjoy it!
Next up a coop for these little chicks.
Do you have backyard chickens?


Barn Hop

2 comments:

  1. I love your tractor and your blog thanks so much. I am working on building my first tractor now. I just got my first 3 hens this week.
    www.openbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're building your own chicken coop, you might feel a little intimidated. Don't. With some basic woodworking skills and a lot of patience, you can build a great coop that will house your girls comfortably for years to come.Just check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxalBhSRgA you will learn how to built a good chicken coop..
    thnx

    ReplyDelete